The capitol building in Columbia, South Carolina.
Columbia definition by Webster's New World
Origin: after Christopher Columbus
Origin: after Columbia, personification of the United Statescapital of S.C., on the Congaree River: pop. 116,000
- city in central Mo.: pop. 85,000
Origin: after Columbia, personification of the U.S.
- city in NC Md., southwest of Baltimore: pop. 88,000
- river rising in SE British Columbia and flowing south & west through Wash., & along the Wash.-Oreg. border into the Pacific: 1,210 mi (1,947 km)
Origin: after the name of the first ship to enter it (1792)
Columbia definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A community of north-central Maryland west-southwest of Baltimore. It is mainly residential. Population: 88,200.
- A city of central Missouri north-northwest of Jefferson City. The main campus of the University of Missouri (established 1839) is here. Population: 94,400.
- The capital and largest city of South Carolina, in the central part of the state. It was chosen as the site of the new state's capital in 1786. Population: 120,000.
Origin: After Christopher Columbus.
, District of