Origin of colliesaid to be from coaly, coal-black, from the color of some of the breed
any of a breed of large, long-haired dog with a long, narrow head: first bred in Scotland for herding sheep
A medium-to-large dog of a breed originating in Scotland as a sheepdog, having a long narrow muzzle and either a long rough coat or a short smooth coat, depending on the variety.
Origin of collieScots perhaps variant of colly like coal from Middle English col coal ; see coal .
Perhaps originally from coal, with reference to its colour.
- It's half Collie and half Golden Lab.
- The Scotch collie is lighter and more elegant, and has a sharper muzzle.
- A dog barked down the alley and Dean turned to see a man walking a collie as his wife looked on from a doorway.
- Half Collie and half Golden Labrador.
- She thought a moment, and then saluted as a flag-draped collie passed them.