Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a church served by resident canons
- in Scotland, a church with two or more ministers serving jointly
- ☆ in the U.S., a church associated with others under a joint body of pastors
- such an association of churches
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A Roman Catholic or Anglican church other than a cathedral, having a chapter of canons and presided over by a dean or provost.
- a. A church in the United States associated with others under a common body of pastors.b. An association of such churches.
- A church in Scotland served by two or more ministers at the same time.