- The definition of a dean is the head of a school department or church, or the senior member or expert of a group.
- An example of a dean is the head of a college of arts and sciences at a university.
- An example of a dean is the expert in the field of anthrax; the dean of anthrax research.
- the presiding official of a cathedral or collegiate church
- R.C.Ch. a priest chosen by his bishop to supervise a number of parishes within the diocese
- ☆ an official of a school, college, or university, esp. one in charge of students, faculty, or a division of studies
- the senior member of a particular group
- an experienced and preeminent member of a group: the dean of American poets
Origin of deanMiddle English den ; from Old French deien, dean ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin decanus, chief of ten monks ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin leader of ten ; from Classical Latin decem, ten
a masculine name
- a. An administrative officer in charge of a college, faculty, or division in a university.b. An officer of a college or high school who counsels students and supervises the enforcement of rules.
- Ecclesiastical The head of the chapter of canons governing a cathedral or collegiate church.
- Roman Catholic Church A priest appointed to oversee a group of parishes within a diocese.
- The senior member of a body or group: the dean of the Washington diplomatic corps.
Origin of deanMiddle English deen, from Old French deien, from Late Latin decānus, chief of ten, from decem, ten, or from Greek dekānos, chief of ten (from deka, ten); see dek&mlowring; in Indo-European roots.
- A senior official in a college or university, who may be in charge of a division or faculty (for example, the dean of science) or have some other advisory or disciplinary function (for example, the dean of students).
- A dignitary or presiding officer in certain church bodies, especially an ecclesiastical dignitary, subordinate to a bishop, in charge of a chapter of canon.
- The senior member of some group of people.
- (Sussex) a hill (chiefly place names).
- A title afforded to a dean.
- A habitational surname surname from Middle English dene "valley".
- A male given name derived from the surname or from the title.