A rooster with a bright red cockscomb.
cockscomb definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the red, fleshy growth on the head of a rooster
- an ornamental plant (Celosia cristata) of the amaranth family, with red or yellow flower heads somewhat like a rooster's crest
cockscomb definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The comb of a rooster.
- The cap of a jester, decorated to resemble the comb of a rooster.
- An annual plant (Celosia cristata) widely cultivated for its showy, fan-shaped or plumelike clusters of red or yellow flowers. Also called celosia.
- Obsolete Variant of coxcomb.