- a person who cuts, trims, etc.
- a tool for cutting or trimming: a barber's clippers
for sense, see cutter
- ☆ a sharp-bowed, narrow-beamed sailing ship (c. 1830-54) built for great speed
- a modified form of this with less speed and greater cargo capacity
- a horse, sled, etc. regarded as very swift
- Electronics a circuit designed to limit the amplitude of an output signal to a preset level
ME < clippen, clip; senses 3 & 4 infl. (?) by MDu klepper, orig., swift horse < LowG kleppen, to sound like hoofbeats (echoic)