nounpl. -·jacks· or -·jack·
nounpl. skipjack, or skip·jacks
- A skipjack tuna.
- Any of various other fishes, such as the bluefish, that habitually leap out of the water.
- pl. skip·jacks A fishing sloop having a bottom shaped like a flat V and vertical sides.
Origin of skipjackskip 1 ( in reference to its leaping behavior ) jack fellow
(plural skipjacks or skipjack)
- Any of several unrelated fish.
- An elaterid; a click beetle.
- A shallow sailboat with a rectilinear or V-shaped cross section.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
skipjack - Computer Definition
An encryption algorithm developed by the U.S. National Security Agency to be included in the Clipper chip, a device through which U.S. governmental agencies would retain access to information that a user encrypted with the Clipper chip.
See Also: Clipper Proposal; Encryption.