CIS definition by Webster's New World
- on this side of: cisalpine
- subsequent to
- Chem. designating an isomer having certain atoms or groups on the same side of a given plane in the molecule: in chemical names, usually printed in italic type and hyphenated and disregarded in alphabetization: cis-butene
Origin: ; from Classical Latin cis, on this side: see here
CIS definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- On this side: cisatlantic.
- Having a pair of identical atoms or groups on the same side of a plane that passes through two carbon atoms linked by a double bond. Used of a geometric isomer: cis-2-butene.
Origin: Latin, from cis, on this side of; see ko- in Indo-European roots.
cis - Computer Definition
(1) (CompuServe Information Service) See CompuServe.
(2) (Card Information Structure) A data structure on a PC Card that contains information about the card's contents. It allows the card to describe its configuration requirements to its host computer.
(3) (Contact Image Sensor) A type of scanning sensor used in low-cost scanners that is smaller than a CCD. Although it allows for smaller, lighter scanners to be built, color fidelity and image quality are not as good as CCD.
cis - Medical Definition