A chauffeur opening a car door.
- The definition of a chauffeur is a person who drives others.
An example of a chauffeur is a limousine driver.
- To chauffeur is defined as to provide transportation to another person.
An example of to chauffeur is to drive a young couple to the movies because they are too young to have driver's licenses.
Origin of chauffeurFr, literally , stoker (operator of a steam-driven car) ; from chauffer, to heat: see chafe
verbchauf·feured, chauf·feur·ing, chauf·feurs
- To serve as a driver for (another).
- To transport in (a motor vehicle); drive: chauffeured the guests around town.
Origin of chauffeurFrench, stoker, from chauffer, to heat, stoke, from Old French chaufer; see chafe.
As the French word chauffeur has masculine gender, a female chauffeur is sometimes called a chauffeuse or, jocularly, a chauffeuress.
(third-person singular simple present chauffeurs, present participle chauffeuring, simple past and past participle chauffeured)
- (intransitive) To be, or act as, a chauffeur (driver of a motor car).
- To transport (someone) in a motor car.