Catholic ChurchCatholic Church
The Roman Catholic Church.
(countable and uncountable, plural Catholic Churches)
- Literally "universal church", the whole body of Christendom, especially before the division into Western and Eastern churches.
- The Roman Catholic Church, which consists of 23 particular Churches in full communion with the Bishop of Rome.
- The Catholic Church is the world's second largest religious body after Sunni Islam.
- Any of the independent Catholic Churches, such as the Old Catholic Church, the Polish National Catholic Church, or the Orthodox Catholic Church.
- Any Christian denomination that identifies explicitly as "Catholic" based on its affirmation of the Nicene Creed, such as any of the Anglican Churches.