- The definition of bulimia is an eating disorder where you need to engage in an unhealthy food ritual involving binging on food and then throwing it up.
When you think you are fat and you eat an entire box of Twinkies but then you make yourself throw it up, this is an example of bulimia.
- Med. a continuous, abnormal hunger
- an eating disorder, chiefly in young women, characterized by the gorging of large quantities of food followed by purging, as through self-induced vomitingin full bulimia nervosa
Origin: Modern Latin ; from Classical Greek boulimia ; from bous, ox, cow plush limos, hunger ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Indo-European base an unverified form lei-, to diminish, meager from source little
- bulimic adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An eating disorder, common especially among young women of normal or nearly normal weight, that is characterized by episodic binge eating and followed by feelings of guilt, depression, and self-condemnation. It is often associated with measures taken to prevent weight gain, such as self-induced vomiting, the use of laxatives, dieting, or fasting. Also called bulimarexia, bulimia nervosa.
- Excessive or insatiable appetite.
Origin: New Latin būlīmia, from Greek boulīmiā : bous, ox; see gwou- in Indo-European roots + līmos, hunger.
- bu·liˈmic adjective & n.
bulimia - Cultural Definition
An eating disorder that is characterized by episodic binge eating followed by feelings of guilt or depression and sometimes self-induced vomiting.
bulimia - Medical Definition
- bulimic adjective & n.
bulimia - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.