- The definition of bulimia is an eating disorder where you need to engage in an unhealthy food ritual involving binging on food and then throwing it up.
When you think you are fat and you eat an entire box of Twinkies but then you make yourself throw it up, this is an example of bulimia.
- Med. a continuous, abnormal hunger
- an eating disorder, chiefly in young women, characterized by the gorging of large quantities of food followed by purging, as through self-induced vomitingin full bulimia nervosa
Origin of bulimiaModern Latin ; from Classical Greek boulimia ; from bous, ox, cow + limos, hunger ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Indo-European base an unverified form lei-, to diminish, meager from source little
- An eating disorder, common especially among young women of normal or nearly normal weight, that is characterized by episodic binge eating and followed by feelings of guilt, depression, and self-condemnation. It is often associated with measures taken to prevent weight gain, such as self-induced vomiting, the use of laxatives, dieting, or fasting. Also called bulimarexia, bulimia nervosa.
- Excessive or insatiable appetite.
Origin of bulimiaNew Latin būlīmia, from Greek boulīmiā : bous, ox; see gwou- in Indo-European roots + līmos, hunger.