- The definition of built up is someone or something that has been put onto a pedestal, or that has been made to seem as if it is going to be wonderful or great.
An example of built up expectations are when a child believes his Christmas morning will be perfect.
- made higher, stronger, larger, etc. by the addition of parts: built-up heels
- having many buildings on it: said of an area
- Made by fastening several layers or sections one on top of the other: a built-up roof.
- Filled with buildings; developed: a built-up neighborhood.