- Present participle of bruise.
- (slang) A violent physical attack on a person.
- You'd better shut up or you'll get a bruising.
Variant of bruise
transitive verbbruised, bruising
- to injure (body tissue), as by a blow, without breaking the skin but causing discoloration
- to injure the surface or outside of, causing spoilage, denting, etc.: bruised peaches, a bruised auto fender
- to crush with or as with mortar and pestle
- to hurt (the feelings, spirit, etc.)
Origin of bruiseMiddle English bruisen ; from Old English brysan, to crush, pound ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhreus-, to smash, crush; Middle English form and amp; meaning influenced, influence by Old French bruisier, to break, shatter ; from Gaulish an unverified form brus- ; from same Indo-European base
- to bruise tissue, a surface, etc.
- to be or become bruised
- a bruised area of tissue, of a surface, etc.
- an injury to one's feelings, spirit, etc.