Variant of bruise
- to injure (body tissue), as by a blow, without breaking the skin but causing discoloration
- to injure the surface or outside of, causing spoilage, denting, etc.: bruised peaches, a bruised auto fender
- to crush with or as with mortar and pestle
- to hurt (the feelings, spirit, etc.)
Origin: ME bruisen < OE brysan, to crush, pound < IE base *bhreus-, to smash, crush; ME form & meaning infl. by OFr bruisier, to break, shatter < Gaul *brus- < same IE base
- to bruise tissue, a surface, etc.
- to be or become bruised
- a bruised area of tissue, of a surface, etc.
- an injury to one's feelings, spirit, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.