A city of eastern Australia on the Brisbane River, about 345 km (215 mi) long, near its mouth on Moreton Bay, an inlet of the Pacific Ocean. The area was settled in 1824 as a penal colony.x
- Large city and State capital of Queensland (Australia).
- Araucaria Bidwilli, the Bunya-Bunya pine, found on the mountains of southern Queensland, between the rivers Brisbane and Burnett, at 27° S.
- The Brisbane river, falling into Moreton Bay, is important chiefly from the fact that the city of Brisbane is situated on its banks.
- At Brisbane the fall is 50 in., and portions of the New South Wales coast receive a like quantity, but speaking generally the fall is from 30 in.
- The mean temperature at Brisbane, during December, January and February, is about 76°, while during the months of June, July and August it averages about 60°.
- At Brisbane the rainfall is about 50 in., taking an average of forty years.