The bourgeoisie is defined as the middle class, typically used with reference to feelings of materialism when describing the middle class.
An example of the bourgeoisie is the middle class who like to buy big houses and cars.
- the social class between the aristocracy or very wealthy and the working class, or proletariat; middle class
- in Marxist doctrine, capitalists as a social class antithetical to the proletariat
Origin of bourgeoisieFrench from bourgeois: see bourgeois
- The middle class.
- In Marxist theory, the social group opposed to the proletariat in the class struggle.
Origin of bourgeoisieFrench from bourgeois bourgeois ; see bourgeois .
- a class of citizens who were wealthier members of the Third Estate
- (Marxism) The capitalist class.