- The definition of a bodice is the part of a woman's dress above the waist, or a vest that often laces up.
A lace-up corset that a woman wears over her stomach and breast-area is an example of a bodice.
A white dress with a lace bodice.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the upper part of a woman's dress
- a kind of vest formerly worn over a blouse or dress by women or girls, usually laced in front
- Archaic a corset
Origin: altered ; from bodies, plural of body, inch(es) obsolete sense of “part of dress above the waist”
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The fitted part of a dress that extends from the waist to the shoulder.
- A woman's laced outer garment, worn like a vest over a blouse.
- Obsolete A corset.
Origin: Alteration of bodies, pl. of body.