- a recording, as of an electronic tone, over a segment of a soundtrack, as for covering an expletive
- a word substituted as a euphemism for such an expletive, vulgar or taboo word, etc.
Origin of bleepechoic
- to censor (something spoken), as in a telecast, by or as by substituting a beep
- to censor (a speaker) in this manner
verbbleeped, bleep·ing, bleeps
Origin of bleepImitative
- A brief high-pitched sound, as from some electronic device.
- (euphemistic) Something named by an explicit noun in the original, unedited version of the containing sentence.
- What the bleep are you doing?
- (music, slang, uncountable) A broad genre of electronic music with goth and industrial influences, as opposed to traditional gothic rock.
(third-person singular simple present bleeps, present participle bleeping, simple past and past participle bleeped)