- a black-colored belt or sash awarded to an advanced practitioner in many of the martial arts, as judo or karate: a beginner wears a white belt, and increasing degrees of skill are symbolized by belts of other colors, culminating in the black belt
- a person who holds a black belt
region in S and SE U.S., extending from Texas to Virginia, having a high percentage of African-Americans
Origin of Black Beltorigin, originally , as noted (1901) by B. T. Washington, in reference, refer to the fertile black soil of this region; now, in reference, refer to black Americans
- a. The rank of expert in a martial art such as judo or karate.b. The black sash that symbolizes this rank of proficiency.c. A person who has attained this rank.
- A region of rich, black soil.
(plural black belts)
- The highest belt colour in various martial arts.
- Someone who has attained a black belt
- Raymond is a black belt in karate.