- of, containing, or using two metals, often two metals bonded together
- of or based on bimetallism
Origin of bimetallicFrench bimétallique ; from bi-, bi- + métallique, metallic
- Consisting of two metals, often bonded together and having different rates of thermal expansion.
- Of, based on, or using the principles of bimetallism.
- Pertaining to the use of gold and silver to create legal currency
- 1908: We well suppose that a Minister needs information as to a point which involves the Navy, India, Canada and the bimetallic question — Arthur Conan Doyle, ‘The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans’ (Norton 2005 p.1302)
- More generally, consisting of two metals
From French bimétallique, from bi-, two + métallique, metallic