The bilge of a barrel.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the bulge of a barrel or cask
- the rounded, lower exterior part of a ship's hull
- also bilge water
- the bottommost interior part of a ship
- water that seeps or leaks in, collects there, and becomes stagnant and dirty
- Slang worthless or silly talk or writing; nonsense
Origin: variant, variety of bulge
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Nautical a. The rounded portion of a ship's hull, forming a transition between the bottom and the sides.b. The lowest inner part of a ship's hull.
- Bilge water.
- Slang Stupid talk or writing; nonsense.
- The bulging part of a barrel or cask.
- Nautical To spring a leak in the bilge.
- To bulge or swell.
Origin: Probably alteration of bulge.
- bilgˈy adjective