independent kingdom in the Himalayas, north of the Indian state of Assam: monarchy established in 1907: 18,147 sq mi (47,000 sq km); cap. Thimphu
An isolated country of South Asia in the eastern Himalaya Mountains. A Buddhist kingdom that long resisted modernization, Bhutan began a series of democratic reforms starting in the 1990s. Thimphu is the capital and the largest city.x
- A landlocked Himalayan country in South Asia. Official name: Kingdom of Bhutan.
- The frontier trade of Bengal is registered with Nepal, Sikkim, Tibet and Bhutan, but except with Nepal the amount is insignificant.
- The forests of Bhutan abound in many varieties of stately trees.
- Then it is lost amidst the jungle-covered hills of the wild Mishmi and Abor tribes to the east of Bhutan for another ioo m., until it is again found as the Dihong emerging into the plains of Assam.
- To the Dihong junction, and about 1000 in Tibet and eastern Bhutan, above the Dihong.
- Nerd), the root of the Nardostachys Jatamansi of Nepal and Bhutan; stacte (Heb.