- A belch is the sudden release of gas through the mouth.
A burp is an example of a belch.
- The definition of belch is to release gas suddenly through the mouth.
An example of belch is to burp.
A man belching after a drink of beer.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to expel (gas) through the mouth from the stomach; eruct
- to utter (curses, orders, etc.) violently
- to throw forth (its contents) violently, often in spasms: the volcano belched flame
Origin: Middle English belchen ; from Old English bealcian, to bring up, emit, splutter out
- the act of belching; eructation
- a thing belched
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb belched, belch·ing, belch·es verb, intransitive
- To expel gas noisily from the stomach through the mouth; burp.
- To erupt or explode.
- To gush forth.
- To expel (gas) noisily from the stomach through the mouth; burp.
- To eject violently.
Origin: Middle English belchen, from Old English bealcettan or from *bealcian; akin to bealcan.
- belch noun
belch - Medical Definition