- The definition of a baroness is a woman who is among the low ranking nobility or is a wife or widow of a nobleman of low rank.
An example of a baroness is a noblewoman who is below the rank of count or viscount.
baroness definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a baron's wife, widow, or (in some European countries) daughter
- a woman with a barony in her own right
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French baronesse
baroness definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The wife or widow of a baron.b. A woman holding the title to a barony.
- Used as the title for such a noblewoman.