A lighthouse set against an azure sky.
- The definition of azure is a light, purplish blue color.
An example of azure is the sky on a clear day.
Origin of azureMiddle English asur ; from Old French azur (with omission of initial l-, as if l'azur) ; from Arabic lāzaward ; from Persian lāzhuward, lapis lazuli
- sky blue or any similar blue color
- Old Poet. the blue sky
- a. A bright blue, as of a clear sky.b. Heraldry The color blue.
- The blue sky.
Origin of azureMiddle English, from Old French azur, from Medieval Latin azura, from Arabic al-lāzaward, the azure : al-, the + lāzaward, azure (from Persian lāzhuward, lapis lazuli).
(countable and uncountable, plural azures)
- (heraldry) A blue colour on a coat of arms, represented in engraving by horizontal parallel lines.
- The clear blue colour of the sky; also, a pigment or dye of this colour.
- (poetic) The unclouded sky; the blue vault above.
- Lapis lazuli.
(third-person singular simple present azures, present participle azuring, simple past and past participle azured)