The Atlantic Ocean.
of, in, on, or near the Atlantic Ocean
- The Atlantic Ocean.
- The westernmost branch of the Niger-Congo language family. Also called West Atlantic.
- Of, in, or near the Atlantic Ocean.
- Of, on, or near the eastern coast of the United States.
- Of or concerning countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean, especially those of Europe and North America.
- Of or relating to the westernmost branch of the Niger-Congo language family.
Origin of AtlanticMiddle English Atlantik, from Latin (mare) Atlanticum, Atlantic (sea), from Greek (pelagos) Atlantikos, from Atlās, Atlant-, Atlas, Mount Atlas (in west Africa, on which the heavens were believed to rest); see tel&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
Variant of Atlantic Ocean
ocean touching the American continents to the west and Europe and Africa to the east: c. 33,420,000 sq mi (86,557,466 sq km); greatest known depth, c. 28,000 ft (8,500 m)
Origin of Atlantic OceanClassical Latin Atlanticum (mare), Atlantic (ocean) ; from Atlanticus, of the Atlas Mountains ; from Atlas, Atlas