associative[ə sō′s̸hē āt′iv, -sē-; -s̸hə tiv]
associative definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- of, characterized by, or causing association, as of ideas
- Math. of or pertaining to an operation in which the result is the same regardless of the way the elements are grouped, as, in addition, 2 + (3 + 4) = (2 + 3) + 4 and in multiplication, 2(3 x 4) = (2 x 3)4
Origin: Midieval Latin associativus
associative definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Of, characterized by, resulting from, or causing association.
- Mathematics Independent of the grouping of elements. For example, if a + (b + c) = (a + b) + c, the operation indicated by + is associative.
- as·soˈci·aˌtive·ly adverb
- as·soˌci·aˌtivˈi·ty noun
associative - Science Definition