- Arrears is defined as a situation when a person is behind on a deadline or has an unfinished obligation or business.
When a person is behind in their taxes, it is an example of being in arrears.
- The definition of arrears is a past due debt or an unfulfilled obligation.
An example having arrears is when a credit card debt has been sent to a collection agency.
arrears definition by Webster's New World
- unpaid and overdue debts
- unfinished business, work, etc.
Origin: Middle English arrers ; from arrere, backward ; from Old French ariere ; from Vulgar Latin aretro ; from Classical Latin ad, to plush retro, behind
arrears definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An unpaid, overdue debt or an unfulfilled obligation.
- The state of being behind in fulfilling obligations: an account in arrears.
Origin: Middle English arrers, from arrere, behind, from Old French arere, from Vulgar Latin *ad retrō, backward : Latin ad, to; see ad- + Latin retrō, behind; see re- in Indo-European roots.
arrears - Legal Definition
arrears - Phrases/Idioms
in arrearsor in arrear