a substance of low freezing point added to a liquid, esp. to the water in the radiator of an automobile or to gasoline in the tank, to prevent freezing
A substance, often a liquid such as ethylene glycol or alcohol, mixed with another liquid to lower its freezing point.
(countable and uncountable, plural antifreezes)
- The plural form antifreezes is used only if more than one kind of antifreeze is meant.
- Antifreeze will lower the freezing point of a liquid.
- Antifreeze is put in a car's radiator to act as a coolant.
- Antifreeze has a sweet smell and is toxic if swallowed.
- Propylene glycol is used as an antifreeze in cars and trucks.
- If it isn't, remove the inlet hose from the pump and attach a piece of spare hose from the inlet valve and into the antifreeze bottle.