Variant of antecedent
Origin: ME & OFr < L antecedens, prp. of antecedere, antecede
- any happening or thing prior to another
- anything logically preceding
- one's ancestry, past life, training, etc.
- Gram. the word, phrase, or clause to which a pronoun refers: “man” is the antecedent of “who” in “the man who spoke”
- Logic the part of a conditional proposition that states the condition
- Math. the first term or numerator of a ratio
- antecedently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.