- The definition of anoint means to smear or rub with oil.
An example of anoint is for a priest to baptize a baby with oil.
anoint definition by Webster's New World
- to rub oil or ointment on
- to put oil on in a ceremony of consecration
Origin: Middle English anointen ; from Old French enoindre ; from Classical Latin inunguere ; from in-, on plush unguere, to smear: see unguent
anoint definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb a·noint·ed, a·noint·ing, a·noints
- To apply oil, ointment, or a similar substance to.
- To put oil on during a religious ceremony as a sign of sanctification or consecration.
- To choose by or as if by divine intervention.
Origin: Middle English enointen, from Old French enoint, past participle of enoindre, from Latin inunguere, inūnct- : in-, on; see in-2 + unguere, to smear.
- a·nointˈer noun
- a·nointˈment noun