The definition of ahem is something said when trying to get a person's attention or when trying to alert someone to something.
An example of ahem is what you would say to stop someone who is about to ruin a surprise.
used to get someone's attention, give a warning, fill a pause, etc.
Origin of ahemechoic
Used to attract attention or to express doubt or warning.
- (onomatopoeia) the sound of a quiet cough or of clearing one's throat
- an exclamation or cough to get attention
- Ahem! Could we please get started?
- an exclamation of disapproval or annoyance
- Ahem! In case you didn't notice, I did my share, too.
- an exclamation to indicate sarcasm
- I really (ahem!) liked the chocolate broccoli surprise.
- A use of the interjection, ahem.