- The definition of aesthetics refers to how humans perceive and judge objects according to their attractiveness.
Painting murals on a building to make it more visually appealing is an example of improving the aesthetics of the building.
aesthetics definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from aesthetic
aesthetics definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- (used with a sing. verb)a. The branch of philosophy that deals with the nature and expression of beauty, as in the fine arts.b. In Kantian philosophy, the branch of metaphysics concerned with the laws of perception.
- (used with a sing. verb) The study of the psychological responses to beauty and artistic experiences.
- (used with a sing. or pl. verb) A conception of what is artistically valid or beautiful: minimalist aesthetics.
- (used with a sing. or pl. verb) An artistically beautiful or pleasing appearance: “They're looking for quality construction, not aesthetics” (Ron Schram).
aesthetics - Cultural Definition
The branch of philosophy concerned with the nature of art and with judgments concerning beauty. “What is art?” and “What do we mean when we say something is beautiful?” are two questions often asked by aestheticians.
- The term aesthete is sometimes used negatively to describe someone whose pursuit of beauty is excessive or appears phony.
aesthetics - Medical Definition