- The definition of acoustics are the features or characteristics of an area, or of things inside that area, that dictate how sound is heard.
An example of acoustics is home theater designed with optimal furniture design and room design where sound travels clearly.
acoustics definition by Webster's New World
acoustics definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- (used with a sing. verb) The scientific study of sound, especially of its generation, transmission, and reception.
- (used with a pl. verb) The total effect of sound, especially as produced in an enclosed space: “Such annoyances are frequently caused by flaws in the acoustics rather than the performers” (Mel Gussow).
Sound waves are deflected off sound panels and distributed throughout a concert hall.
acoustics - Computer Definition
The branch of physics dealing with sound and its transmission.
acoustics - Medical Definition
acoustics - Science Definition
- (Used with a singular verb) The scientific study of sound and its transmission.
- (Used with a plural verb) The total effect of sound, especially as produced in an enclosed space.
Sound waves from a stage are deflected by sound panels and distributed throughout an auditorium.