- (political, of an MP) Having been deprived of party membership as a disciplinary measure, or having relinquished membership, and often not voting to support party policy.
- ... spectacle of Conservative Euro-rebels delighting in their disgrace and flaunting their whipless condition, rather than being sad and ashamed of what has happened. (Hansard, 24 Feb 1995).
- (informal, of coffee) Without whipped cream.
- Without a whip (as in horse racing).
- (of an antenna) Concealed, with no visible aerial.
- Designed so as to avoid a lash rebound like a whip.
When qualifying a proper noun in sense 1, the adjective is often capitalised, as in Whipless Tories.
whip + -less