- Naut. the distance due west covered by a vessel traveling on any westerly course
- a westerly direction
- An example of westing is a drive from New York to California.
- An example of westing is the 2,907 miles between New York City and San Francisco.
Westing is heading or traveling toward the west, or the distance traveled while moving in a westerly direction.
- The westerly component of the distance traveled between two positions.
- Progress toward the west.
Origin of westingFrom west
- Ellen Raskin's The Westing Game is a quirky mystery that invites readers to solve the murder of eccentric tycoon Sam Westing.