Origin of veldAfrikaans from Middle Dutch veld, a field
Any of the open grazing areas of southern Africa.
Origin of veldAfrikaans from Middle Dutch field ; see pelə-2 in Indo-European roots.
- The open pasture land or grassland of South Africa.
- On the low veld cotton is grown.
- A conspicuous veld plant is the orange and crimson leonotis, growing 6 ft.
- The low veld east of the Drakensberg begins at about 3000 ft.
- The low veld is everywhere covered with scrub, and water is scarce, the rivers being often dry in the winter season.
- It replaced (1904) the former capital of Bremersdorp situated in the middle veld 23 m.