Having veins or showing veinlike markings.
- Membranous, net-veined wings, those of the two pairs closely alike.
- The principal entrance, reached by a flight of 23 steps, is ornamented with a portico supported by four black-veined marble columns.
- A remarkable fossil from the Scottish Coal-measures (Lithomantis) had apparently small wing-like structures on the prothorax, and in allied genera small veined outgrowths - like tracheal gills - occurred on the abdominal segments.
- The prevailing formations appear to be granites which are veined with white quartz, and underlie old sedimentary brown sandstone and limestone formations.
- Smilacoideae are climbing shrubs with broad net-veined leaves and small dioecious flowers in umbels springing from the leaf-axils; the fruit is a berry.