- a person or thing that survives; specif., a person who has survived an ordeal or great misfortune
- a person regarded as resilient or courageous enough to be able to overcome hardship, misfortune, etc.
- A person who copes well with a family tragedy and remains strong is an example of a survivor.
- A person who lives through a plane crash is an example of a survivor.
The definition of a survivor is a person who copes with a bad situation or affliction and who gets through, or a person who manages to live through a situation that often causes death.
- He's a survivor, and now he's the hero of the neighborhood.
- This uncle was an old companion of La Perouse and a survivor of the expedition in which that navigator perished.
- While she mourned Howie's passing she is a survivor and always has been.
- Thomas, Catalogue of Monotremata and Marsupialia in the British Museum (1888); "On Caenolestes, a Survivor of the Epanorthidae," Proc. Zool.
- Bernard was succeeded in 1706 by his three sons, Ernest Louis, Frederick William and Anton Ulrich, but after 1746 the only survivor was the youngest, Anton Ulrich, who reigned alone from this date until his death in 1763.