- a person or thing that survives; specif., a person who has survived an ordeal or great misfortune
- a person regarded as resilient or courageous enough to be able to overcome hardship, misfortune, etc.
- A person who copes well with a family tragedy and remains strong is an example of a survivor.
- A person who lives through a plane crash is an example of a survivor.
The definition of a survivor is a person who copes with a bad situation or affliction and who gets through, or a person who manages to live through a situation that often causes death.
- He's a survivor, and now he's the hero of the neighborhood.
- This uncle was an old companion of La Perouse and a survivor of the expedition in which that navigator perished.
- While she mourned Howie's passing she is a survivor and always has been.
- Thomas, Catalogue of Monotremata and Marsupialia in the British Museum (1888); "On Caenolestes, a Survivor of the Epanorthidae," Proc. Zool.
- Where there is no will one-half of the residue of the separate personal estate goes to the survivor if there are issue, and the whole of it if there are no issue.