- any of the fixed airfoils or vanes that keep an airplane steady in flight, as the components of the tail section
- a device used to steady a ship in rough waters, esp. a gyrostabilizer
- any additive used in substances and compounds to keep them stable, retard deterioration, etc.
- One that makes or keeps something stable: “The New Deal equipped the economy with built-in stabilizers” ( Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. )
- A device, such as a gyroscopically controlled fin, that prevents excessive rolling of a ship in heavy seas.
- An airfoil that stabilizes an aircraft or missile in flight.
- Chemistry A substance that renders or maintains a solution, mixture, suspension, or state resistant to chemical change.
- Agent noun of stabilize; any person or thing which brings stability.
- Any substance added to something in order to stabilize it.
- A gyroscopically controlled fin or similar device that prevents the excess rolling of a ship in rough seas.
- An airfoil that stabilizes the flight of an aircraft or missile.
- (textiles) A piece of backing fabric used in embroidery.
- (in the plural, UK) training wheels on a child's bicycle.