- a follower or attendant attached to a prince or other person of importance
- any obsequious or fawning follower or dependent
- a celestial body that revolves around a larger celestial body
- a man-made object rocketed into orbit around the earth, the moon, etc.; specif., such an object containing electronic devices for originating or relaying communications, data, etc.
- something subordinate or dependent; specif., a small state that is economically or politically dependent on, and hence adjusts its policies to, a larger, more powerful state
Origin of satelliteFrench from Classical Latin satelles (gen. satellitis), an attendant, guard from Etruscan