Larry knew when his grandmother was calling because her ringtone was set to the theme song from "Shaft".
An example of a ringtone is the sound like a classic telephone that you set to play on your cellphone when your grandmother calls.
ringtone - Computer Definition
The audible sound made by a telephone to announce that a call is coming in. The traditional ringtone was in the 440-480 Hz range, but as cellphone usage grew, it became obvious that ringtone differentiation would become important. Modern cellphones support a wide frequency range that allows for several bars of music to be played. Phones come with a selection of built-in ringtones and accept new ones from one or more ringtone services that are downloaded for a fee. Ringtones have become a fad, providing another mode of self-expression. MP3 has become popular as a ringtone format because it supports voice. MIDI and Nokia's RTTTL (Ringing Tones Text Transfer Language) formats are used, but for music only. Depending on the phone and format, ringtones can be sent via text messages (SMS), but there is no standard for ringtone transfer for all phones and services. See moantone and Mosquitotone.
- With eLyrics, in addition to purchasing a ringtone, translating the lyrics into another language and listening to the song, you can also use the site comment section and message board to interact with your fellow Miley Cyrus fans.
- Some Windows Mobile 6.1 users have a program called MP3 Trimmer that lets you import a full MP3 song and block off a section of the song that you can save to the ringtone folder or automatically set as the main ringtone.
- Jermaine Dupress said Soulja Boy creates music for the "ringtone market" - creating hook heavy tunes in the hope of making a lot of money selling ringtones to kids rather than focusing on the creative process.
- Thankfully, unlike some units from the Verizon lineup and all handsets from the TracFone library, the cell phones available through Boost Mobile are largely capable of using third-party ringtone resources.
- Some people love the Star Wars original score so much that they like to have it as their phone ringtone, as a startup theme song for their computer or even as a song to listen to on iPod or an MP3 player.