- a flat, portable case, usually of leather, for carrying loose sheets of paper, manuscripts, and drawings; briefcase
- such a case for state documents
- the office of a minister of state or member of a cabinet
- all the securities held for investment as by an individual, bank, investment company, etc.
- a list of such securities
- a selection of representative works, as of an artist
Origin of portfolioearlier porto folio from Italian portafoglio from portare ( from L: see fare), to carry + foglio ( from Classical Latin folium: see foliate), leaf