Origin of peta-from uncertain or unknown; perhaps penta-, because the number is 1,000 to the fifth power; perhaps also by analogy with tera-, as if it were derived from tetra-
- One quadrillion (1015): petahertz.
- 1,125,899,906,842,624 (250): petabyte.
Origin of peta-Alteration of penta- ( from its representing the fifth power of a thousand )
- A prefix that means:
- One quadrillion (1015), as in petahertz, one quadrillion hertz.
- 250 (that is, 1,125,899,906,842,624), which is the power of two closest to a quadrillion, as in petabyte.
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
- People Eating Tasty Animals
- A female given name.
- Mainly used in the U.K. and Australia.
A rare feminine form of Peter.