The definition of off-putting is a person, thing or situation that repels or is annoying.
An example of off-putting is a negative comment about a person's race.
Tending to disconcert or repel: was rankled by the off-putting remarks.
(comparative more offputting, superlative most offputting)
- (uncommon) Alternative form of off-putting.
(comparative more off-putting, superlative most off-putting)
From put off.
- Additionally, many women so hate shopping for lingerie -- trying on ten bras and hoping one will be okay -- that the idea of getting that level of attention is off-putting.
- In addition, it's very off-putting to believe you must sacrifice such luxuries and necessities to appease the mandates of feng shui.
- It's rare than you can distinguish that the valance is separate from the panel, so don't let the one-piece construction be off-putting.
- While they still produced an off-putting smell when burned, the odor was not quite as strong as that from tallow candles.
- As long as there is a dirty, smelly or otherwise off-putting element to the job, it's fair game for the show.