Mrs. is defined as a title for a married or widowed woman.
An example of Mrs. is Mrs. Michelle Obama, who is married to President Barack Obama.
mistress: a title for a woman who is married or has been married, placed before her name [Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Mary Smith] or, more formally, placed before her husband's name [Mrs. Walter Smith]: pl. Mmes (see mesdames)
- Used as a courtesy title for a married, widowed, or divorced woman before her own surname or full name: Mrs. Doe; Mrs. Jane Doe. See Usage Note at miss2.
- Used as a courtesy title for a married or widowed woman before the surname or full name of her husband: Mrs. Doe; Mrs. John Doe.
- Used in informal titles for a married woman to indicate the epitomizing of an attribute or activity: Mrs. Wonderful; Mrs. Organization.
Origin of Mrs.Abbreviation of mistress
- A title used before an adult female's name or surname. Usually used with the married surname.
- Did he love Mrs. Barnett?
- Mrs. Giddon is so nice, and Tammy is adorable.
- The lady at the wheel reminded Adrienne of Mrs. Marsh.
- We're trying to get a fix on Mrs. Gustefson's cell phone.
- Nobody I talked to ever heard of Dawkins, but Mrs. Worthington said she remembers reading about this Rowland guy.