- least common denominator
- that part of a group made up of those with the lowest level of taste, education, sophistication, etc.
- that which is accepted, understood, appreciated, etc. by them
lowest common denominatorlow·est common denominator
lowest common denominator
- See least common denominator.
- a. The most basic, least sophisticated level of taste, sensibility, or opinion among a group of people.b. The group having such taste, sensibility, or opinion.
(plural lowest common denominators)
- (mathematics) The smallest positive integer which is a multiple of every denominator of several fractions.
- The lowest common denominator of and is 30.
- (figuratively) The most simple or base shared interest or characteristic among a group or collection of people etc.
- Reality TV really is appealing to the lowest common denominator in audiences.