- of, in, or near the larynx
- used for treating the larynx
- Phonet. articulated in, or by constriction of, the larynx
- Of, relating to, affecting, or near the larynx.
- Produced in or with the larynx; glottal.
- A laryngeal sound.
- Any of a set of h -like sounds reconstructed for early Proto-Indo-European and partially preserved in Anatolian.
Origin of laryngealFrom New Latin laryngeus from Greek larunx larung- larynx
(comparative more laryngeal, superlative most laryngeal)
- Of or pertaining to a larynx or larynges.
The term laryngeal in Indo-European studies is but an anachronistic misnomer, retained only because it has been established as a standard term for those three phonemes. The exact phonetic value of Proto-Indo-European laryngeals is unknown, but it's generally agreed that not all of them were real laryngeals.
From modern Latin laryngeus, from larynx.
laryngeal - Medical Definition
also laryngal (lə-rĭng′gəl)