Origin of Lafayetteafter Lafayette
- A city of west-central Indiana on the Wabash River northwest of Indianapolis. Purdue University was established near here in 1869.x
- A city of south-central Louisiana west-southwest of Baton Rouge. Settled by Acadians in the 1700s, it is a center of Cajun culture and has a large petrochemicals industry.x
- Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette (1757 – 1834), a French aristocrat who is considered a national hero in both France and the United States for his participation in the French and American revolutions.
- Any of a number of U.S. places named for the Marquis de La Fayette, including a large city in Louisiana.
- (US) A male given name, originally in honor of the Marquis.