- pl. (see fish) -·fish·, -·fish·es any of various large food fishes found along the Atlantic or Pacific coast, esp. certain drums
- Informal a person with absolute power in a group
nounpl. kingfish, or king·fish·es
- a. Any of several food and game fishes of the family Sciaenidae, especially of the genus Menticirrhus, found in western Atlantic waters.b. Any of various carangid fishes.c. See king mackerel.
- Informal A person in a position of uncontested authority or influence, especially a powerful political leader.
(plural kingfishes or kingfish)
- Any of several food fishes of the genus Menticirrhus from the Atlantic; kingcroaker
- Other Atlantic fish
- Any of several similar fishes of the Pacific.
- narrow-barred Spanish mackerel Scomberomorus commerson (Australia)
- Japanese meagre Argyrosomus japonicus (Australia)
- yellowtail amberjack Seriola lalandi (Australia, New Zealand)
- silver gemfish Rexea solandri (Australia)
- crevalle jack Caranx hippos (Mauritania)
- giant trevally (sometimes travelli) Caranx ignobilis (South Africa)
- cobia, Rachycentron canadum, of warm waters globally.