(informal) A person in a position of uncontested authority or influence, especially a powerful political leader.
Any of several food and game fishes of the family Sciaenidae, especially of the genus Menticirrhus, found in western Atlantic waters.
Any of various carangid fishes.
Any of various large food fishes found along the Atlantic or Pacific coast, esp. certain drums.
(informal) A person with absolute power in a group.
Any of several similar fishes of the Pacific.
- Narrow-barred Spanish mackerel Scomberomorus commerson (Australia)
- Japanese meagre Argyrosomus japonicus (Australia)
- Yellowtail amberjack Seriola lalandi (Australia, New Zealand)
- Silver gemfish Rexea solandri (Australia)
- Crevalle jack Caranx hippos (Mauritania)
- Giant trevally (sometimes travelli) Caranx ignobilis (South Africa)
Other Word Forms