- designating or composed of matter that is not animal or vegetable; not having the organized structure of living things
- lacking design, relation, and coordination of parts
- designating or of any chemical compound not classified as organic: most inorganic compounds do not contain carbon and are derived from mineral sources
- designating or of the branch of chemistry dealing with these compounds
The definition of inorganic is something unrelated to organic matter or organic life, not animal or vegetable, or a chemical compound that does not contain carbon.
An example of something inorganic is plastic.
not organic; specif.,
- a. Involving neither organic life nor the products of organic life.b. Not composed of organic matter.
- Chemistry Of or relating to compounds not containing hydrocarbon groups or derivatives.
- Not arising in normal growth; artificial.
- Lacking system or structure.
- Not involving organisms or the products of their life processes.
- Relating to chemical compounds that occur mainly outside of living or once living organisms, such as those in rocks, minerals, and ceramics. Most inorganic compounds lack carbon, such as salt (NaCl) and ammonia (NH3); a few, such as carbon dioxide (CO2), do contain it, but never attached to hydrogen atoms as in hydrocarbons. Inorganic molecules tend to have a relatively small number of atoms as compared with organic molecules.
- (chemistry) An inorganic compound
- Secondly, in the Algae, which build up their own food from inorganic materials, we have a differentiation.
- The susceptibilities of some hundreds of inorganic compounds.
- Rain is by far the most important of the inorganic mobile distributions upon which land forms exercise their function of guidance and control.
- Plant life, utilizing solar light to combine the inorganic elements of water, soil and air into living substance, is the basis of all animal life.
- From this point of view the processes of nature from the inorganic up to the most complex of the organic become stages in the self-realization of nature.